Saturday, October 22, 2005

More About Moving

My roommate and I inadvertently signed a lease for an apartment outside of our beloved neighborhood. In less than two weeks, we will no longer be able to call ourselves Astorians. We will be dwelling in Jackson Heights. While we are very excited about our new place, we were both a little disappointed at this turn of events. (I guess the ad did say "in or near Astoria.")

Anyhow, this morning we decided to do a little research into Jackson Heights. Things were definitely looking brighter after we discovered a ton of great shopping places (including a store described as a "warehouse" that only sells shoes...my idea of heaven,) a library that is actually open on the weekends, community gardens, a farmers market, a movie theater that only plays Bollywood films, and many Indian, Peruvian, and other restaurants. And just when I thought things couldn't get any better, I discovered that Jackson Heights is the birthplace of Scrabble!! I think this neighborhood is where I am meant to be! It actually has a Scrabble Avenue!



While my mom was here this past weekend, we were discussing how sad it was that I didn't have board games anymore. When I lived in Memphis I had Scrabble, Risk, Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, Phase 10, Boggle, and many, many more. Along with almost every other thing I owned, they were sold at my apartment sale. Now that I'm moving to an apartment at least semi-permanently (we hope to stay for two years) I think it's finally time to replenish my board game supply, starting with Scrabble, of course.

1 comment:

Me said...

low points, huh.