Sunday, January 08, 2006

No! Sleep! Till Queens?

It's a little past three o'clock in the afternoon and I can barely keep my eyes open. I have no idea how many hours I have actually slept in the past week. Maybe 25? 30? Not enough, that's for sure. But as an adamant non-napper, I am refusing to lay down because it is daylight outside. I'm about to go finish up some last minute errands, but I feel a bit blog-deprived.

I can't believe that just last Monday I was sitting in my mom's living room in Arkansas. And even though last week I only had to work four days, it was one of the most intense workweeks I've had in quite some time. To battle the insanity of it all, I have gone into hyperactive mode. I have kickboxed, run, played soccer, and rock climbed any obsessive over-thinking into oblivion. So far, it seems to be working. Now my body is just as challenged and tired as my mind. Is this what they call balance?

No matter what you call it, it's been a fun week. It's amazing what I can do with my time when I do not have to go to grad school. Two more weeks of freedom!! And last night I did something I've been dreaming of doing for at least three years now. I bought a plane ticket to flight out to L.A., which is just a little drive away from a week of backpacking and rock climbing in Joshua Tree Desert National Park. My friend Sharon and I are going in April, and buying the plane tickets was the opening event of a teenager-esque sleepover we had at her place in Brooklyn last night.

Maybe one of the best things about being in my twenties is the ability to dwell in both worlds, both child and adult, but do so at my own discretion. At the moment, I must choose to be back in that adult world, where I have laundry to do and need to lesson plan for the week. But soon, I might just sneak some chocolate before dinner and ask my roommate to read me a story before I go to bed...at a more appropriate time of course.

No comments: