Sunday, January 21, 2007

Degrees of Change

I don't know what has happened to me. By the time my first winter here had ended, I was fairly certain I would move away from New York City to a warmer climate as soon as possible. Then last year I found joy in shoveling out my car after record snowfall. And this year I have just been waiting for some real winter weather.

Yesterday, two friends and I went running around the reservoir when the wind chill was ten degrees. We exclaimed to each other at first, "What were we thinking?!" But there was a little bit of joy mixed in with the question. And today when soccer practice was cancelled due to the cold, I called the women on my team wimps. I seem to be the only person here that shares that sentiment, though.

If this trend continues, within one year I will announce that I am moving to an igloo, and within three years I will be opening a school in Antarctica. Just wanted you to be prepared...

No comments: