Sunday, May 20, 2007

A Few Thoughts

ONE - An old college friend and I just signed the lease for a new apartment in Brooklyn. Fortunately, he did all the apartment research (since my research time has been completely taken up with grad school subjects) and we found an amazing place at a great price that's very close to work and to some of my favorite spots in Manhattan.

Over the course of the past year, I have been feeling more and more settled here, but suddenly it's hitting me with suprising force. I am a resident here in a way that I have never been a resident before. New York's not just a pitstop for me, and I'm not dreaming of the next place I want to move to. Instead, I'm carefully choosing what neighborhood I want to live in because I want to stay for a very long time. It's a great feeling.

TWO - People have been coming by to view my apartment since the roommate and I will be moving in an absurdly short amount of time. The rent the new tenants will be paying is $300 more per month than what we pay now. New York is ridiculous...but I forgive it.

THREE - I love this French Hyundia commercial. I can't imagine that this would ever be played in the States, so this just shows what a long way we have to go to being a fully accepting society. (And I apologize...I would usually just put the video right on the blog, but I couldn't get it to work today for some reason.)

FOUR - I've spent the morning alternating between putting the finishing touches on my research study and catching up on TV. I've watched the final episode of Grey's Anatomy (somewhat disappointing), gone through my bibliography with a fine toothed comb (not a tangle anywhere), seen Sarah Jessica Parker's new inexpensive line of clothing on Oprah (jury still out on this one), gone overboard on my section detailing recommendations for future research (still trying to reign myself in), and now I'm preparing to watch House (as usual, I saved the best for last.) Now I've almost completed the paper and my saved list on the DVR...which means I'll have a few free hours with nothing scheduled. Is this what life will be like after grad school?

FIVE - Realizing that I am going to have free time soon, I have gone crazy with the book reserve option on the Queens Library website. All I can think is Murakami and Fitzgerald and Wodehouse, oh my!

SIX - I thought I was done, but I almost forgot the most important bit!! The Mets have beat the Yankees twice in two days. Now I can read and make a few trips to Shea. Oh, life is too, too good.

No comments: