Sunday, October 21, 2007

what's been going on

Yesterday was the first track meet for the kids I've been coaching at the school. It was a lot of fun, (we had two 1st place winner, two 2nd place winners, and one 3rd place winner,) but I also realized that spending 10 hours with 20 over-excited teenagers is exhausted. I slept till 9:00 this morning.

In other news, I recently read Cormac McCarthy's book The Road, winner of the Pulitzer prize and the latest American production of apocalyptic art. It got me started on researching our fascination with the Apocalypse, which has made me appreciate the book a little more than I originally did. However, I still don't get the worldwide obsession with the end of the world. My next book was The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington. I love a good satire, even if it is from 1918.

Other than reading, I have also been writing again. I have found a new writer's group that meets twice a month. So far I am really enjoying it. Writing on a regular basis is a severely underrated thing in my life.

Last but not least, my mom has been in Costa Rica for the past 8 days. Today she is finally coming home. Eight days without talking to her is just bizarre and wrong. I can't wait for tonight, even though I fully expect that the trip was so great and had so many details that she won't actually know where to begin. Describing great travel to friends and family is so difficult right upon your return.

Anyhow, there have been many times that I wanted to sit and blog recently, but haven't gotten to it. Lately I have been wondering if it might be time to put the blog to rest. I'm not sure if I will ever actually do that, but I have been considering what that would mean. I think that there may just be better ways for me to write and put my ideas out. I guess time will tell...

No comments: