Sunday, January 20, 2008

Wind Burn, But No Broken Bones

I have a new love: Skiing. My groin muscles and my glutes are ridiculously sore, but skiing is definitely at the top of the list for me when it comes to the outdoors. For some reason, I have always been a bit afraid of skiing. This doesn't make sense, because I can't think of any other sport I'm afraid of...well, except for diving. (It doesn't matter if I see the diver clear the board, I always imagine them hitting their head...I don't know what's wrong with me.)

Anyway, after a couple of runs down the bunny slopes with Alan as my teacher, I tried my first green circle, where I spent more time on my ass than on the skis. It was probably the longest thirty minutes of my life, especially since the snowmaker-thingies were blowing full blast the whole time. I was ready to take a break, but Alan encouraged me to go up one more time. My next run I fell only once, and from there I was ecstatic, in the way I always get when doing some athletic activity I love (i.e., wearing my cleats around the house before my first soccer practice a few years ago.)

All together, we were skiing for about seven hours. I made it up to blue square and am excited for my next ski trip at the beginning of February. This is definitely something I want to do more regularly. The rest of the weekend was filled with eating a ton with a bunch of friends, playing absurd amounts of Guitar Hero, and kicking ass at Trivial Pursuit and Cranium. It has been a perfect weekend, and tomorrow I have the day off!

No comments: