Wednesday, November 30, 2005

A Star Has What?

AP released a story today that Gregory Peck's star was stolen from the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Apparently, someone actually went out there with a cement saw, carved out the star, and removed it. And the best part is, no one is exactly sure when it was stolen. Hollywood's "honorary mayor" has pinned it down to sometime between November 17 and November 22.

Why am I going on about this? I guess it just reminds me that there are things going on that are more absurd than what I see on a daily basis at work. Though this is definitely of a different variety. Seriously, what do you do with one of those stars once you have it? Hang it on a wall? Put it in storage? Give it as a gift? And how did no one see a person sawing into the cement? This isn't the type of crime that someone would just do spur-of-the-moment (by my judgment, at least, which is mostly influenced by Encyclopedia Brown-like deduction.) This took some premeditation. It's the kind of silly act that makes me question human intellect for two reasons: (1) it's a stupid, pointless thing to do, and (2) I really want to talk to the person who did it just to find out. There has to be an interesting story there.

Anyhow, right now I'm meeting up with a couple of folks to go for a run in Central Park. The weather has been awesome this week, and I plan on taking full advantage.

No comments: