Tuesday, December 20, 2005

A Strike, a Chicken, and a Miracle

Between the transit strike and trying to convince my roommate that she does not have Asian bird flu, it's been an odd day. I spent two hours at the school this morning before any students showed up, and by the end of the day I still only had five attentive faces watching the movie Miracle.

Miracle is based on the true story of the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team. I have been talking this movie up for weeks, and it was awesome to see how interested my students were. After many mini-lessons about the Soviet Union, politics of the late 1970s, the job of a coach, and the rivalries between members of the team; my students were well-prepared to comprehend everything that was taking place in the story. On Sunday, my roommate and I watched it and were cheering and yelling by the end, as if the game were actually taking place as we watched. I hope that I get to see the same behavior from my students tomorrow when we get to finish the movie.

Of course, if things continue with the transit strike, I might spend more quality time with my chalkboard and empty classroom. As for the moment, there are 52 more days till the Olympics begin in Italy (I've been counting down with my students since September.) And while subways and buses may not be running, the Torch is.

No comments: