Tuesday, January 10, 2006

A Tiny First Step

Recently, I blogged about a difficult day at work in which feelings of helplessness overwhelmed me. I'm not sure exactly how many people read the blog, but I received a well-phrased comment from another teacher/blogger that you should definitely read. I completely agree with everything she says, but I also wonder when protecting our students' privacy begins to actually hurt them.

Beyond the comment, another teacher/blogger wrote about and quoted that specific blog. It's small to be certain, but maybe it's something. While the discussion on my blog rarely turns to education, when it does, it draws much attention (at least compared to my ramblings about shoes, how much I love my friends, or the silly things I witness on a daily basis.) As time goes on, I become more and more stunned by this internet community. There are many people out there writing about the struggles taking place within in our school system. They are people who truly care, who work day in and day out to try to make some change. I wonder now, how do we translate these internet discussions into something more tangible?

I am passionate about making a change in education, but, as far as I have discovered in the year and a half I've taught, that passion has little outlet outside of the classroom. I don't know where to begin, so I begin here. I talk to other teachers, write about my experiences when I feel comfortable enough to do so, and read as much information as I can get my hands on. I feel like I have so much to learn before I will be in a position to make a big change, but is there enough time for me to learn what I feel I need to?

No comments: