Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Concerns about Teeth

I woke up at 2:00 this morning with the sharp pain of one wisdom tooth making that dreaded impact with a molar. After dealing with it throughout the workday, I went to a recommended dentist.

It was like a scene from a sitcom: me lying in the chair with my clipped-on napkin across my chest, while up above me the dentist gets into an argument with the hygenist about the x-rays she took. She actually stormed out of the room, and he chased after her, calling, "May! May!" I didn't hear what he said next (since I was still sitting in the chair) but I did hear her yell, "I am closing this door." A moment later he came back into the room and said, "We're going to have to take another x-ray, just to get a closer look." As if I hadn't heard the entire argument!

Then, after telling me he was referring me to another dentist who could do surgery to remove the wisdom teeth, he asked me if I had ever had anything done about my overbite. Our conversation:

Me: When I was young, my dentist said it was nothing to worry about since it's so small.
Evil dentist: Nothing to worry about!? Are you kidding me? It will take a lot of time to fix this as an adult.
Me: I haven't really had any problems with it. Do I really need to get something done?
Evil dentist: Well, I guess not if you don't mind the way it looks.

I can only laugh at the absurdity of this conversation, especially considering that it's the second one of it's kind since I moved to New York City. (Last May I fractured my nose, and a nurse in the ER told me it didn't look "that deformed.")

Some days, I think this city is the last place anyone should come to.

No comments: