Thursday, March 02, 2006

Aspirations

Yes, it's true. I secretly wish I was an academic. I don't mean someone who just remembers every word they've read over the course of their lifetime. I mean an ACADEMIC, complete with the eccentricities, anti-social behaviors, and an ego.

Why I long for this, I will probably never know. But this little desire is being reawakened by my weekly contact with a true academic, my professor for my Social Foundations of Education class. She is unexpectedly, unintentionally rude, she makes intelligent jokes without acknowledging the fact that she's making a joke so you never really are sure, and she springs questions on you about an author referenced four weeks ago in the second article she handed out at the beginning of that class...don't you recall?

She's condescending without actually making you feel like a child, (which is the usual type of condescension reserved for teachers.) She is the kind of academic who seems to think that everyone is an academic, which makes everyone start to act as if they are.

I love her class because I am actually challenged and actually learning. Am I an academic? Well, I just don't think I'm cut out for that. Maybe one day I'll be better at storing all the facts I've read or not caring so much if I am condescending towards someone who I believe to be less intelligent than I am. But I will never, ever be able to make a joke without first pointing out that I actually made a joke, then laughing at my own wit. (Or cheesiness, depending on if you're looking at it from my point of view, or the viewpoint of any other human being.)

Alas, I know my dream won't be fulfilled. But, at least for this semester, I can feel like one from 7:00 - 9:30 every Thursday night.

No comments: