Wednesday, May 24, 2006

A Fan is Born

Last night I went to my first professional sporting event in New York City. My roommate's mother won free tickets to see the Mets play the Phillies at Shea Stadium. When we took our seats at 7:00, in the field box between third base and home plate, we had no idea what was in store for us. If you somehow have not heard yet, I'm referring to the sixteen innings of the most exciting baseball I have ever seen! At the end, when Beltran hit the game-winning homerun, my roommate and I jumped up and down, screaming like crazy and giving high-fives to all of the fans around us (who, unlike us, knew who Beltran was before the game started.)

I have never been much of a baseball fan, but after last night, the Mets have won my heart. The fans around us were great, I learned that there is such a thing as a fourteenth inning stretch, and I had plenty of time to learn about the players as they took the field inning after inning after inning.

I can't wait to go to another game, and have already made plans to go to another with fellow-Mets fans from work...to the great dismay of the Yankee fans from work who have spent two years tring to recruit me to their side. Even with a measly four hours of sleep, I'm still on high from that game. Meet the Mets! Meet the Mets! Step right up and greet the Mets!

No comments: