Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Heart of the Game

Last night my roommate and I saw a sneak preview for the documentary The Heart of the Game. The tickets were free, so my expectations were not too high. I was in for a wonderful surprise.

Within five minutes, I was completely drawn in by the story about a girl's high school basketball team in Seattle. It was one of those rare movie experiences in which you feel bonded to everyone in the theater. There were several points in which the audience erupted in applause. It's been a long time since I've laughed this hard about a sport, and I know I wasn't the only one crying at a few points.

Ward Serrill, who wrote and produced the work, spent seven years following and filming this team. I have no idea what motivated him to start this particular story, but it's phenomenal. It is the kind of story that renews your faith in the human spirit.

No comments: