Sunday, June 04, 2006

Up for Interpretation

I awoke this morning from a dream about my brother's wedding, which was last weekend. But in the dream version, he and his wife were having a wedding with another couple on a stage in an auditorium. I was in my typical jeans and tank top, happily talking to the many people in the audience who I knew. Suddenly, there was music signaling the beginning of the wedding. I could see the bridesmaids stage right,and I was not even in my dress. In the excitement of everything, I had forgotten that I was a bridesmaid!

Before I could do anything, though, the bridesmaids for the other bride were taking the stage. They weren't wearing bridesmaids dresses. Instead, they were dressed in absurd costumes and had created a robotic choreographed entrance for themselves. The bride followed them, wearing a denim jumpsuit reminiscent of the 1970s and acting completely unbride-like.

It was at this point that I woke up. My first conscious thought was something along the lines of "What the hell..." Throughout my day, (reading, grocery shopping, catching up with my best friend from college, repeatedly checking the score of the Mets game, leaving the house to meet a friend for dinner,) my mind continues to return to the strange images from this unsettling dream. Like Scrooge, it's possible that something I ate last night from dinner is causing such dreams, but even Scrooge realized that wasn't the case. Where does this stuff come from?

No comments: