Monday, August 07, 2006

A New Malady?

As I have mentioned, I have undertaken War and Peace this summer. I do not usually refer to reading books as an undertaking, but in this case there is no other word that is more appropriate.

Recently I was overcome by sadness at the thought of all those other books I want to read stacking up endlessly as I try to finish War and Peace. So I made a deal with myself. For every 200 pages I read, I will set down War and Peace (which I am enjoying slightly less right now because it's all wars and no parties,) and read one of those other books.

So Friday I read Ladies Poker Night by Jill A. Davis. The entire thing. It's a great read, very funny, and true to New York City life. But I spent a lot of time on the train that day, and read it cover to cover. I just wasn't ready to return to the world of Tolstoy.

Then I picked up The Mole People by Jennifer Toth, a shocking book about the homeless who lived underground in New York City. And then, at the library, I found The Keep by Jennifer Egan, which I read about recently and have been wanting to read. So I started reading it, too. And I've been reading chapters from Good Catholic Girls: How Women Are Leading the Fight to Change the Church by Angela Bonavoglia, an amazing book that has made me look at nuns in a whole new light. Add to that the fact that the new Vanity Fair, National Geographic, and more will all be coming within the next week.

I was reading the Sunday paper this morning (because I didn't get to it yesterday)and read an article called "Why I Can't Stop Starting Books" by Joe Queenan. I am noticing Queenan's behaviors in myself. And I know my mom has a similar habit of starting books. When I am in a bookstore, I pick up every book I possibly can. I like to feel books. I like to touch the pages. On occasion, I have been known to sniff a book.

I have gotten better about sticking to one book, but this summer is bringing out the old habits in force. Did I mention I am typing this from the library?

No comments: