Saturday, August 11, 2007

On the Blog Again (Like A Band of Gypsies?)

There have been several things on my mind since I last wrote. In no particular order:

(1) The Delivery Men's Uprising This article absolutely floored me. I surprise myself sometimes with how naive I can be. So many of the things I love about living in the city are based on the hard work of people doing jobs that no one else wants to do. It's shocking how poorly these people are often treated. And what's more shocking is the reasons people give for the bad treatment. I could write a ten page rant about this topic, but I'm going to stop myself. Just be sure to read the article!

(2) Granta's Best of Young American Novelists 2 This book of short stories contains some of the best work I have ever read. I'm a big supporter of contemporary writers, but this selection contained only two names that were recognizable to me. Pick it up and enjoy!

(3) Product Design I'm always clipping articles about design out of the paper to show the sixth graders who take my graphic design class. This one is especially interesting. With the advent of cheaper and smaller computer chips, advertisers will be able to put a computer chip into product packaging, so when you pick up, say, a box of Count Chocula cereal, it might just tell you "I go great with Highland milk." I suddenly want to grocery shop much less.

(4) Vacation After spending several weeks teaching new teachers who were starting an alternate certification program, I am set to enjoy three weeks of time off. So what am I doing? Lesson planning. I have found that teaching teachers everything I know about teaching (which was a great deal more than I realized,) that I have learned a ton. I am approaching my work in a much different way now, and loving it. During my work today, I stumbled across this amazing website for any of you fellow math teachers out there.

(5) Last, but not least, Tetris for Grown Ups I'm still in the throes of my youtube love, but the boyfriend actually found this one. Can you imagine how much time and coordination this took?

No comments: