Sunday, September 23, 2007

Lists

On CBS Sunday Morning they featured a story on lists: how we're obsessed with them, why we make them all the time, and how they always sell more magazines when teased on the cover. As a serious list-lover, I automatically hit the fast forward button on the remote to get through the commercials and to the actual story.

I am more than a little obsessed with list making. I keep a list of all the books I have read because I got so upset two years ago when i couldn't remember the title or the author for a book I had recently enjoyed. (Both names still evade me.)

I also do not make New Year's Resolutions. Instead, at the beginning of the year I make a list of things I want to do in the coming 12 months, such as going to three new museums, finally getting my wisdom teeth removed, or applying for a passport: all of which are items I've checked off my 2007 list.

And, of course, I also have a constant to-do list. I'll write a quick list of songs I want to download, chores I want to complete before Ghost Hunters comes on, or people I need to call during the week. There is something strangely satisfying to me about seeing information organized in such a way. After watching the segment, I realized that I am not, by far, the only one who feels such satisfaction. Also from the segment, I found that I will probably be adding one more thing to a list in the future: buy The Book of Lists.

1 comment:

Nacho Lover said...

hey, I also keep a list of books I read!
and? I keep an alphabetized, categorized, TYPED list of books I want to read.

yeah, feeling you on the list loving. :)