Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Two Lists

ONE: Things I almost blogged about since my last entry.
(A) A report by Time magazine that showed Special Ed teachers to have one of the highest ratings for reporting themselves as "very happy" at work. Special Ed teachers beat both Elementary and High School teachers.
(B) Listening to "Reunion," an amazing story by John Cheever, as read by Richard Ford on the New Yorker's Fiction podcast.
(C) My overwhelming excitement about Christmas. I am almost done with all my shopping (just two more gifts to buy) and have started decorating the house. It's the first time in so long that I haven't been focused on finals or getting to sleep as soon as possible.
(D) A new book that I just got. It is one of the most unique things I have read in ages, elevating the novel to art. Unfortunately, I can't say what it is here because it's one of the things I got for my mom and I don't want her to buy it before I see her. I promise to reveal the secret later.

TWO: Things that make me happy.
(A) Seeing this on the roadside on the way back from a little trip with Alan. He turned the car around and drove back so I could take pictures.

(B) Feeling like I have finally hit my groove as a math teacher. It has been a surprisingly difficult adjustment, but something has shifted and I am loving teaching again. I've barely written about teaching because this year has been rough, to say the least. Hopefully the funk is finished.
(C) Christmas songs. I am working diligently on the perfect Christmas mix. And a Christmas party is in the works. Did I mention before that I'm really excited about the holidays this year?
(D) My new SmartWool socks that my mom bought me. Alan calls them the wondersocks because you can step in a puddle and not feel water on your feet. I call them warm.
(E) Amazon's new amazing little piece of technology Kindle. What makes me even happier is thinking about the Kindle two or three generations from now, the one I will probably actually by. But it's not too shabby now with the ability to hold up to 200 books and get subscriptions from your favorite newspapers.
(F) A night to myself. I have had alone time all afternoon. Being alone can be fantastic. I am reading What is the What by Dave Eggers, and I'm going to see him speak about the book on Friday night. It's just me, my book, my socks, and my comfy couch. So much goodness...

No comments: