Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Trip So Far

It's been a great few days. Alan and I left New York on Friday with our rented Chevy Aveo. The road trip was great: listening to podcasts, eating food his parents had packed in an ice chest for us, and learning that Alan can do a hysterical impersonation of Mariah Carey.

We got to Arkansas on Saturday night. We've hung out with tons of my family, watched Christmas movies (including Scrooge, the musical starring Albert Finney, which is my absolute favorite,) and opened presents. I felt way too much like an adult with my over-excitement upon opening a new set of pots and pans, AND a set of stainless steel mixing bowls! I alos learned that Alan can do a hysterical impersonation of Hugh Grant. (Who knows who he'll impersonate today?)

I've also been cleaning out the closet in my mom's guest bedroom. I have found many entertaining things among the old photos and certificates. And what my mom thought would never happen has finally occurred: I have completely moved out. There are no more boxes and bags hidden away in closets in her house.

There are a few more events packed into the next two days and then we'll be hitting the road again. Right now I'm up early, having gotten up to talk to my mom before she headed out to work. It's so nice to relax for a few days. And in the spirit of relaxation, I'm going to finish reading the New Yorker.

Merry Belated Christmas!!

No comments: