Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Quite a Month

I might as well change the name of this blog to Bullet Points. Here's a few events/thoughts from the past few busy weeks.

  • I went hiking in New Paltz with a couple of friends on Saturday. Three new loves: zipcar, the oldest street in America with the original housing, and Inquiring Minds Bookstore.
  • On February 15th I made the final payment on my $16,000 car. It feels amazing to have paid off that amount after five long years (I believe in one previous blog I called the car the bane of my financial assistance.) Over the past few months I have been debating on selling or donating the car. But I no longer have to make that decision. A junkyard is coming to pick it up tomorrow after someone totalled it in a hit and run while it was parked in front of my house. Now the debate is whether or not to have fun causing more damage to the car before it's towed away. (Josh is the big more-damage advocate.)
  • For the teachers out there, Google is having a great competition called Doodle 4 Google. It might just be one of my favorite assignments I have ever given my kids. We're all having a blast. But the math projects I assigned my students this year might just beat it by the end of the month. Listening as my students get excited about their topics (Math in Video Games, Evolution of the Calendar, or even Florence Nightingale, who used math to improve quality of needlesticks when taking blood) is quite possibly the most awesome experience of my year, especially after so much test prep.
  • Today I am going to the podiatrist yet again to solve another little debate I've been having with myself. Should I cut off my foot, or finally give in and get surgery. The both are equally scary to me, but after 14 months of shots and medicine and random pain, it might just be time to try something new. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
  • And still another debate, but this one much more fun. Alan and I are going to a wedding in two weeks and decided to have a blast dressing up. I bought two dresses after much, much shopping, and yesterday held a household vote for which one I should wear to the wedding. A strappy, purple number won 4-1. I can't wait to wear it!!
  • And something that's no debate at all - a book called Crashing Through that my friend Sharon recommended to me. It's about a man, blinded from the age of three, who has his sight restored and what transpires thereafter. Sometimes it feels a little like a book on speed because so much is told so fast, but there's also the great realizations in the descriptions of what he's going through. My favorite thus far, after opening his eyes to see for the first time, he is leaving the doctor's office. He walks through the waiting is room and is stopped short by the sight of the carpet. He says, "How could a person just sit there when such a carpet is happening?"

No comments: