Sunday, October 09, 2005

Permanent Vacationer?

I have barely worked in the past week and a half, and I am surprised by how much I am loving it. I usually am driven by my work and don't know what to do without it. But I have done very well in getting away from it all. I've read books, caught up with a lot of friends I don't get to see too often, played soccer, gone out on weeknights, made it to the gym almost everyday, written, and played ultimate frisbee for the first time ever. I have tomorrow off (thank you, Columbus) and Thursday off, and then I took Friday off to have extra time to hang out with my mom. What will I do when October 17th hits and I am faced with an actual five-day workweek?

I have also gone a little blog-crazy with so much time off. There are three things I have written that are sitting in my blog, labelled as drafts, that will probably never be seen by anyone. (One of them is five paragraphs devoted to the subject of hair.) I mentioned this to my mom, and told her how much I have loved having a forum that has motivated me to write daily again. I have let myself get out of the habit of writing. She said she thought it was time that I use some of that creative energy to write stories and plays again. Or even to tackle the tough task of editting that book I wrote while I was in Memphis.

I think she's right. So I've spent some time focusing more on stories that have been floating around in the back of my mind for months, thinking about characters that I love and have not been able to put on the page, and allowing myself to look at the rough draft of my book that needs my attention. I also signed up for National Novel Writing Month, which is how I wrote the book in the first place. So, November may be a month of few posts for me as I try to write 50,000 words in 30 days. (Fortunately, there are a few vacation days at the end of November, too.) Until then, you can expect to hear more from me.

No comments: