Friday, January 20, 2006

Friday, Friday, Friday!

It's 6:30 and I've only just gotten out of the shower. Which means I'm probably not going to make it out the door at 6:40, my usual time. But I just have to share how happy I am that it is Friday.

I have barely slept this week due to the exhaustion and anxiety that has set in from my job. Something my roommate said to me has been running through my head repeatedly. I told her that I knew there were highs and lows with any job, and that this was just one of my lows and things would get better soon. Her response: That's true, but why do your lows have to be so low?

It's a good question, and it has made it very difficult for me to forget my other good questions: Have I been put in an impossible situation? Am I really expected to teach, or am I just expected to be a holding room for the most difficult students so other classrooms around the city can have a hope of functioning? And after two days in which I've broken up at least a dozen fights, been hit once, scratched once, and threatened multiple times, is this really worth it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nah, you should just move to Little Rock and date that dude. Then, you can get a good job where the cost of living is lower and your family is closer, and you can reflect on your days in NYC....Then again, things could get better and you might experience one of those small, magical moments as a teacher that alter your perspective and make everything worth it.

Either way, things will start looking up if you just keep a positive attitude (or start threatening your students.

"Ms. Cornelius" said...

I am outraged! And was anything done to these little heathens who dared to hit you?