Monday, January 30, 2006

Time Out of Mind

Sometimes it is almost impossible to keep my mind off of work, especially when I am trying to figure out how to convince a parent not to give up on her son by putting him in a group home. I am so angered by this in so many ways, but I am also oddly distant from my emotions. It seems that I have begun to use my body, mere organs and skin, as armor against the daily avalanche of painful things that come my way at work.

On the lighter side, over the past few days when I have managed to stop all thought, for some reason I automatically get the song "Baby Got Back" in my head. My thoughts seem to play out:

Maybe I should implement a home-based behavior management plan with her.

...and I cannot lie...You other brothers can't deny...

I'll sit down with her and the social worker tomorrow to come up with new options.

...with an itty bitty waist, and a round thing in your face...

And then we can bring him into the meeting to help set goals for himself in the classroom and at home.

...so fellas! Yeah! Fellas! Yeah! Has your girlfriend got that butt? Hell yeah!

I'm a solutions-based person, so if you have any ideas for how to help me with my Mix-A-Lot Mania, please offer them up. Till then...

...Shake that healthy butt!

1 comment:

Rees said...

Heh! Someone once told me psychologists have noted that if you let your mind wander unfettered you'll end up at an embarrassing memory. Maybe you just end up remembering that you used to like "Baby Got Back"?

I'm a teacher too--much luck to you. It can be consuming, that's for sure.

http://shelleyrees.blogspot.com