Saturday, September 09, 2006

No More Secrets?

Just this morning I came across a statement in the New York Times that there are no more secrets in New York City. Just two hours later I discovered one.

When I arrived at soccer pratice at the Con Edison field in Astoria, our new home field, I was certain I was mistaken when I heard a cow. I thought, it must just be a door creaking or something. Then I heard it again, and this time much more clearly. I peaked through the slats along with my teammates and we counted cows together.

The field is located on a street in Astoria with very little traffic and NO pedestrian traffic, which means no one realizes that right there, across the street from homes, is a slaughterhouse. Now I understand the mysterious smell that sometimes poisons the air around my neighborhood. And I'm wondering what else is contained in that northern blank space on all the maps of Astoria...

1 comment:

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Oh, dear! I was hoping you had found a hidden dairy, with the cows munching on grass harvested from Central Park...