Friday, September 08, 2006

Tension in the Air

Today seems to be a day of arguments. It started at 6:00 in the morning, when two homeless men got in a loud argument about how neither one of them could keep a job which inexplicably turned into an argument about who masturbated the most. (I wouldn't even think of printing the sentence they kept screaming back and forth as I was finally boarding the train, but lets just say I was afraid they would both drop trou and begin to demonstrate...)

Then during first period, I made the dreadful mistake of taking a student aside and asking, "Is everything okay?" Let's just say the student wasn't interested in sharing.

Then two women on my soccer team, which usually gets along better than the members of the Partridge Family, were arguing throughout practice (imagine repeated conversation like "No, 4-3-3 starts in the back, you mean 3-3-4." "I know what I mean. I mean 4-3-3." "No, 3-3-4.")

And now, outside my window, a man is arguing with his girlfriend on his cell phone (which is better than their typical weekly argument with both of them right outside my window.) Every time he says something, he finishes it with, "What am I supposed to say?" I don't know what he's supposed to say, but I'm about to scream "Shut up, already!"

Fortunately, there's one small fragment of my brain that continues reminding me I'm just really really tired. So it's Friday night, not even 10:00, and I'm going to sleep while the rest of the world works this all out.

No comments: