Saturday, June 09, 2007

Spare Time

Every day this week I have had something I wanted to blog about and somehow not made it to my computer. Life without grad school is fantastic. I'm reading a ton, going to musuems, visiting friends, and today I'm going to the beach. Who cares if it's overcast today?

A few things I didn't get to blog about:

(1) Playing the guitar. This week my friend Jim gave me my first lesson on guitar. I loved it. I learned how to hold the guitar and how to play the A, D, and G chords. It's been a long time since I felt so awkward trying something new, but I'm looking forward to learning more. Getting a guitar is now at the top of my list of things to do.

(2) Richard Serra. His exhibit at the MoMA is amazing. It's minimalist to be sure, but it's also unique to view art that somehow dwarfs you. There was one piece in which you are actually surrounded by his metal structures in a maze-like way. If you're in New York, you definitely need to see it.

(3) Field Day. Yesterday was Field Day at my school. It was extremely well-organized, and I had the opportunity to just relax and have fun with my students. I played soccer for an hour and a half and basketball for another hour and a half. I beat one of my students in a three-point shoot-out and feel just as proud as if I was a middle school student. (He had it coming, by the way, after he told me girls can't shoot.) Thankfully, the other part of the day was watching a movie, or I would be more sore from yesterday's activities than I am now.

(4) Numbers. For some reason I had trouble with numbers this week. I am moving at the end of the month, so I sent out a mass e-mail with my new contact information. Somehow, I miss-typed my phone number three times. Then I had to give my landlord the numbers for the paint colors we wanted in each room. I accidentally inverted two numbers, so instead of requesting Blue Danube for one wall in my room (2062-30) I requested 2026-30, or Snow Cone Lime. My landlord is very funny, and tried to convince me that he had already painted the wall and thought the color was an odd choice. Haha. And my last number is 300, as in this is my 300th post here on Aisle Life. Unbelievable.

No comments: